<span class="highlight">Mr</span> <span class="highlight">Funnel</span> experiences

Submitted: Wednesday, Dec 25, 2013 at 22:17
ThreadID: 105585 Views:4565 Replies:8 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Has anyone using a Mr Funnel at a country or outback service station or fuel depo had any reaction or comments from the attendant. Probably ok when you self serve but many places outside of the main cities, you still get bowser service. Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

Retired 2016 and now Out and About!

Somewhere you want to explore ? There is no time like the present.

My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Motherhen - Wednesday, Dec 25, 2013 at 22:20

Wednesday, Dec 25, 2013 at 22:20
The reaction might be if you can present them with what was filtered out :O.
Motherhen

Red desert dreaming

Lifetime Member

AnswerID: 523516

Follow Up By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Wednesday, Dec 25, 2013 at 22:24

Wednesday, Dec 25, 2013 at 22:24
That's what I was thinking ! Thanks!
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

FollowupID: 804965

Reply By: olcoolone - Thursday, Dec 26, 2013 at 07:54

Thursday, Dec 26, 2013 at 07:54
I can see the service station attendants problem...... If I was to use a Mr Funnel to fill up our 330lts of fuel capacity I would have to leave a day earlier. mr Fennel is not the fastest thing to use.

We plan were we are going to get fuel hence the big tanks so we can miss the smaller places, but if we had to then we would use it.
AnswerID: 523519

Reply By: Member - John N (SA) - Thursday, Dec 26, 2013 at 09:57

Thursday, Dec 26, 2013 at 09:57
G'day Michael,

we have used the Mr Funnel a couple of times in a remote spot or two. The only attendant refueling was at Ilkurkla and there was no issue, the rest self serve. Instead of filling the whole tank via the funnel, I run the first 20 or so litres through the funnel and if this shows no signs of water or other junk, I'm more confident the rest of the fuel would be OK. This has worked for us so far. I agree though that it would be a slow process filling the whole 200 litres. (we have the mid size funnel - not the big double)

Cheers

John
AnswerID: 523522

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, Dec 26, 2013 at 16:56

Thursday, Dec 26, 2013 at 16:56
John N
I'm not really a fan of your method, ie 20L in and then not use the funnel. I can't work out how the rest can be assured as OK.

If the fuel flow has been at rest it is likely the more you pump out of their tank increases the possibility of getting crap and water into yours.

A bit like a bandaid before the knife wound.
But, anything is better than nothing.
FollowupID: 805007

Follow Up By: Member - John N (SA) - Thursday, Dec 26, 2013 at 18:25

Thursday, Dec 26, 2013 at 18:25
Thanks Ross, been a bit lucky so far then I guess.

Cheers

John
FollowupID: 805013

Reply By: Mick O - Thursday, Dec 26, 2013 at 10:20

Thursday, Dec 26, 2013 at 10:20
Michael, all the best for the festive season.

I've commented on the Mr Funnel several times before and it is one of the few "don't leave home without" items you should carry into the outback particularly if you intend fuelling from remote locations and in particular drummed fuel. It saved my bacon at Well 23 in 2012 that's for sure.

If you intend using it to pre-screen fuel from outback locations, I'd recommend getting the larger, double drain unit. It will allow you to pump at a pretty solid rate of flow. The small one can do this but you need to get the fuel swirling into a vortex first. It will suck down pretty quickly then.

While all modern day fuel bowsers operate a filter system, the amount of servicing provided can vary. In the cities, they can be checked and cleaned several times a day due to fuel volumes but in other areas, well, maintenance may be a little more 'relaxed'. Another issue is the arrival of fuel into the tanks. We struck it twice last year with tankers about to drop 30K litres of diesel into the underground storage at both Warburton and at Kiwirrkurra. Here your options are to get in first (ask the tanker driver if he'd mind waiting a few minutes - they are usually very considerate that way), or wait several hours and even then, use the funnel to pre-filter.

I've not had anybody complain about us using the funnel while filling outback. Generally the larger funnel will fill as fast as the bowser will pump and it's not as if they are rushed off their feet out there lol.

I have also fitted a second fuel filter and water catchment filter pre the factory filter as an added layer of protection. The last thing I need is a set of very expensive injectors gummed up in the never never.

Cheers Mick
''We knew from the experience of well-known travelers that the
trip would doubtless be attended with much hardship.''
Richard Maurice - 1903

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 523524

Follow Up By: Kris and Kev - Monday, Dec 30, 2013 at 09:15

Monday, Dec 30, 2013 at 09:15
I went to fill up at a servo in Esperance a few months back and a tanker was there so I asked the driver if he is filling the diesel up. He laughed and said he knows there are rumours going around about not filling up if a tanker has just been, but he said it is a load of bull and the fuel would be fine. I suppose it depends on the servo and where you are. But better to be safe then sorry. Kevin
FollowupID: 805157

Reply By: Member - wicket - Thursday, Dec 26, 2013 at 17:17

Thursday, Dec 26, 2013 at 17:17
I think you will find that this funnel is only recommended for drum/container refuelling. When using a bowser the water will be emulsified because of the pressure and pass straight through it.
AnswerID: 523537

Follow Up By: Ross M - Thursday, Dec 26, 2013 at 19:35

Thursday, Dec 26, 2013 at 19:35
Wicket
You are absolutely right, the Mr Whatever only gets the lumps and the emulsified water in the fuel goes through because the fuel does, so the emulsified water does too.

Therefore, it can only be viewed as a first line of defence and other ammuntiion and capabilities have to also be in place to attempt to halt the advance of the invisible enemy.

I hope no one is lulled into thinking this method is a cure all, it's just a preliminary measure but effective in it's own right.
Keeps undisolved water out or your tank but not the hidden one which does the damage. The big stuff is generally detected and drained off with alarms etc, the emulsified one isn't and CRD engines definitely don't like it.
FollowupID: 805019

Follow Up By: Member - Frank P (NSW) - Friday, Dec 27, 2013 at 11:12

Friday, Dec 27, 2013 at 11:12
Compliments of the season, Ross.

Does emulsified water settler out in the vehicle's fuel tank where it can be trapped or filtered if it re-enters the fuel stream in un-emulsified form?

If not, is there any method to detect and/or filter out emulsified water?

Cheers
FrankP

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

FollowupID: 805043

Reply By: Michael ( Moss Vale NSW) - Thursday, Dec 26, 2013 at 23:03

Thursday, Dec 26, 2013 at 23:03
Thank you everyone, a lot if good replies and points of view ! Regards, Michael
Patrol 4.2TDi 2003

AnswerID: 523550

Reply By: Jeff D6 - Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 17:04

Friday, Jan 03, 2014 at 17:04
Michael I've been using the Mr Funnel product for a long time and found it to have a fantasic results if used correctly. I have been the recipient of contaminated fuel which cost thousands to have fixed. A mate of mind also resently fell the victum to bad fuel on a track from east to west across the middle that also cost $4500 to rectify, both of us run in-line filtration system. It's not until you have had the problem and understand the cost associated to fixing it, you start to realise it's real cheap insurance to have one. I have bought a number of the range and used them across a number of application both marine, 4 x 4 and for domistic use.
I do agree with Olcoolone's comments about putting 330L of fuel through the funnel, but is saying that, that's not the true purpose of the funnel. I use the 45L a minute funnel (two filters) with a 1" PVC pipe and elbow for easy use when we travelling out west and to the top end (cape) to test the quality of fuel we are recieving prior to free poring it into the car. On numerous occasions I have caught bad fuel before depositing into the tank. On these occasions we just put up with the time knowing we will be recieving quality fuel through the funnel. Like another blogger has mentioned, it still should not replace in-line filtration systems you buy, but it is a fantasic first responce tool. The more road blocks you can put in place the better because once it's in your tank your going know where.
I bought mind from Mrfunnelaustralia.com.au The guy was very informative and spoke fairly about the product and it's capabilities if used correctly. He said the biggest problem people have is over filling the funnel which causes head pressure or not matching the right funnel for the right application you are using it for. This is why they have different sizes. Money well spent and a worth while investment for the cost.
I won't travel without it as i have been burnt before. Safe travels
AnswerID: 523822

Reply By: Jeff D6 - Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 10:46

Saturday, Jan 25, 2014 at 10:46
Michael I've been using the Mr Funnel product for a long time and found it to have a fantasic results if used correctly. I have been the recipient of contaminated fuel which cost thousands to have fixed. A mate of mind also resently fell the victum to bad fuel on a track from east to west across the middle that also cost $4500 to rectify, both of us run in-line filtration system. It's not until you have had the problem and understand the cost associated to fixing it, you start to realise it's real cheap insurance to have one. I have bought a number of the range and used them across a number of application both marine, 4 x 4 and for domistic use.
I do agree with Olcoolone's comments about putting 330L of fuel through the funnel, but is saying that, that's not the true purpose of the funnel. I use the 45L a minute funnel (two filters) with a 1" PVC pipe and elbow for easy use when we travelling out west and to the top end (cape) to test the quality of fuel we are recieving prior to free poring it into the car. On numerous occasions I have caught bad fuel before depositing into the tank. On these occasions we just put up with the time knowing we will be recieving quality fuel through the funnel. Like another blogger has mentioned, it still should not replace in-line filtration systems you buy, but it is a fantasic first responce tool. The more road blocks you can put in place the better because once it's in your tank your going know where.
I bought mind from Mrfunnelaustralia.com.au The guy was very informative and spoke fairly about the product and it's capabilities if used correctly. He said the biggest problem people have is over filling the funnel which causes head pressure or not matching the right funnel for the right application you are using it for. This is why they have different sizes. Money well spent and a worth while investment for the cost.
I won't travel without it as i have been burnt before. Safe travels
AnswerID: 525088

Sponsored Links